It's that type of love that you see
Only up on the movie screens
But we got that love, you and me
And it scares the life out of me
The song above was discovered by me a week before Raya last year and was inserted in the “Leaked songs playlist” that I made to accompany my Raya days. So last night, before I went to bed, my ipod was on shuffle and the song just sprang up. I stopped dead to whatever I was doing and 2 things came into my mind, Penang and my dad.
Penang came to mind cause I listened to the song religiously during my Raya trip there. It was actually one of my favorite songs in the playlist because I believe that Blake Lewis is a fucking great songwriter and his beats are sick. So it was a reflex mind action whenever I hear it. Images of the bridge, Gurney Drive, my favorite Grecian dress and sandy beaches would automatically fill my head everytime I hear those words “I’m swimming in the deep end, only you can rescue me.”
That particular Penang trip was done with my mother and not my dad and yet the song strongly reminds me of him. Why? It was his ringtone on my phone. I loved the song so much and the intro had this cool beat so I put it as my dad’s ringtone since last year. Even my former matrix roommates knew whenever my dad called cause of the specific and familiar ringtone. Plus if I counted back, my dad was the most frequent caller during my college days.
So it was creepy to listen to it after a long time. Usually it would be blaring through the speakers of my phone but I know now that it’s not gonna happen anymore. Amazing how one song can bring back so much, right?
Indulging in the beats of : Afraid by Blake Lewis
Chou

Comments