Meet the sky
Where your heart is free and hope comes back to life
Where these broken hands are whole again
Where your heart is free and hope comes back to life
Where these broken hands are whole again
So I watched Glee's Christmas episode and it sort of brought back memories from my childhood. Believe it or not, during 5 years in US, I don't remember celebrating raya. At all. But I do remember the Christmas season. It's weird. From pictures, I know that we celebrated raya with the Malaysian community there but I have no memory of it.
Christmas was different. My family didn't celebrate it as enthusiastically as other families but I do remember bits of pieces of it. I remember pine trees decorated with shiny ornaments and the house being decorated with hanging lights. The tree wasn't as big as the ones you see on TV, we had the mini version but it was still there in our living room.
Even if we didn't celebrate Christmas it was impossible to not be sucked into the whole Christmas spirit. I remember going to malls filled with fake snow and a dummy Santa. I remember Christmas music being played everywhere and I remembered brightly lit streets. My parents didn't buy me presents, at least I remember they didn't. But I do recall getting them from other people.
After watching that Glee episode, I still had that sort of warm feeling inside when I hear Christmas songs. It's absolutely odd cause I hate holiday songs. It's an undefinable feeling but it's still there, the same joyous feeling I felt during Christmas when I was 5.
All of this might sound western but I did experienced it as a kid cause let's face it, I grew up in a western country. And even when I don't celebrate it now, I still enjoy remembering those days. It was part of my childhood and I can't deny it was a time of happiness. It was a part of my life and I can't believe that till now, that surge of Christmas happiness still burns inside of me.
Indulging in the beats of : There's a place for us by Carrie Underwood
Chou
Comments