Losing your soul, will cost you more
Than the life you’re paying for
Than the life you’re paying for
In the spirit of soul singers that have been sprouting out beautifully in Europe, I came across an X Factor winner that mixes ironic truths with heavenly soul in her music. Rebecca Ferguson might be more famous for winning X Factor and for briefly dating boyband rebel, Zayn Malik. Well that was how I discovered her. I was into One Direction and stumbled upon this gossip.
![]() |
| My new favorite soul songstress, Rebecca Ferguson. |
But her music was the one that struck me. My favorite song from her is this cheeky sarcastic soul tune called Glitter and Gold. The song is mostly about people striving for stardom, money and glamorous acceptance that they don't realize that its corrupting their souls. Plus they tend to forget their friends while they are climbing the steep road to the top.
When I first heard it, it reminded me of my faculty. I'm not saying that Mass Communication students are entirely a bunch of popularity hungry mutants but from my personal observation, there seems to be this need to outbid everyone in that faculty. People dress a little more hipsters, talk a little bit louder and create a scene with a little bit more diva attitude.
There are many things I have been called for being a MassComm student and introvert is not one of them. Flamboyant better comes to mind. How this extrovert attitude is perceived from others varies in the most ridiculous ways. But I think MassComm students just want to express their creativity in a big way.
But I can't help but wonder if that attitude to be on top makes you lose yourself in the process. Plus killing the herd just so you can taste the grass on the other side first seems selfish. To me, sometimes all that drama is exhausting to be part of. Hell, sometimes its even hard to watch. First world problem of being a MassComm student.
So I learn lessons from this song that sometimes you need to drag your ass back down to earth cause honey, the world does not revolve around you . No matter what faculty you're in, no matter which direction your going and how you're going there, I don't think its worth it when you arrive there with a phucked up soul and no one to share it with.
Indulging in the beats of : Glitter & Gold (live) by Rebecca Ferguson
Chou

Comments